It was a little over 6 years ago when I decided to start collect and paint an army of Blood Angels (source: http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/313003.page). As the saying goes, if you want to do something, do it right and I was determined to build a well painted and HUGE Blood Angels army. At the time, I had no definition of what HUGE meant and my painting skill was still developing (it still is) but I’ve been happy with the progress I’ve made towards this collection in the past 6 years. Being a completionist, I bought every Blood Angel (and even Space Marine) model I could get so I would have at least one of each model in my army. The current state doesn’t include many of these models as they’re still in my backlog – either waiting to be assembled or painted.

Current tally of points has the army at 15,087 at time of this writing using values from all the most recent codices (Blood Angels, Space Marine, Dark Angels, etc) for the models represented. Total model count is 240.

Points breakdown are as follows:

Type Points Model Count
HQ 3645 34
Elites 3660 65
Troops 949 58
Dedicated Transports 790 10
Fast Attack 1413 33
Heavy Support 2565 36
Ultraheavies and Titans 2065 4
Totals 15087 240

Click here to see the full army picture (high res): http://www.ba40k.com/15KFullArmy-1.jpg

It took the better half of a day in setting up all the models for photos. Many of the models were packed away and I had not seen for 3+ years – some of which I had forgot that I had. The biggest challenge in photographing such a huge number of models is getting proper and consistent lighting. Normally for showcases on individual models, I can use my 24″x24″x24″ photobooth which ensures I get a consistent and reproduce-able lighting environment. Setting all the models out on the Realm of Battle board which is 6’x4′ was an interesting learning experience. I used two studio lights with white umbrella diffusers though lighting was still less than optimal. In the end I had to do heavy retouching in Lightroom/Photoshop to get the final shots. My camera/lens combo might also be a limiting factor (Olympus OMD EM-5 with a Panasonic 20mm F1.7 lens). Most photos were shot on F4 which was a bit too restrictive in focus – should have used a higher F value to get more models included in the shot but something to keep in mind for next time as well.

In the end I shot approximately 200 photos, many of which were duplicates or not usable. Final picture count was taken down to a more manageable 110 photos which are shown below:

Pictures:
15k-army 15k-army215k-armyright4 15k-armyright3 15k-armyright2 15k-armyright 15k-armyleftcenter5 15k-armyleftcenter3 15k-armyleftcenter2 15k-armyleftcenter 15k-armyleft4 15k-armyleft3 15k-armyleft2 15k-armyleft 15k-armycenterright6 15k-armycenterright5 15k-armycenterright4 15k-armycenterright3 15k-armycenterright2 15k-armycenterright 15k-armycenter7 15k-armycenter6 15k-armycenter5 15k-armycenter4 15k-armycenter3 15k-armycenter2 15k-armycenter
15k-capt 15k-vanguards 15k-tycho 15k-troops2 15k-titan5 15k-titan4 15k-titan3 15k-titan2 15k-titan 15k-term4 15k-term3 15k-term2 15k-term 15k-tech2 15k-tech 15k-tanksright7 15k-tanksright6 15k-tanksright5 15k-tanksright4 15k-tanksright3 15k-tanksright2 15k-tanksright 15k-tanksleft6 15k-tanksleft5 15k-tanksleft4 15k-tanksleft3 15k-tanksleft2 15k-tanksleft 15k-stormraven 15k-statue2 15k-statue 15k-sspeeder2 15k-sspeeder 15k-speeders2 15k-speeders 15k-shadow5 15k-shadow4 15k-shadow2 15k-shadow 15k-sarg 15k-sanguinor 15k-sang 15k-pred 15k-nem4 15k-nem3 15k-nem2 15k-nem 15k-meph 15k-lrcrusader 15k-libs 15k-libdread3 15k-libdread2 15k-libdread 15k-lib4 15k-lib3 15k-lib2 15k-lib 15k-khan 15k-impknight2 15k-impknight 15k-hqs 15k-dreads3 15k-dreads2 15k-dreads 15k-dev 15k-deathdread4 15k-deathdread3 15k-deathdread2 15k-deathdread 15k-dead 15k-dante 15k-corb 15k-command 15k-chap3 15k-chap2 15k-chap 15k-cents3 15k-cent2 15k-cent 15k-capt4 15k-capt3 15k-capt2